6.05.2006

It's Not the Years, It's the Mileage


Whew!

Okay, I've been MIA for a few days; I had a slight computer malfunction and, well, ended up having to reformat my hard drive. This computer isn't that old, and it's been receiving regular transfusions of parts, but it still seems to be moving slower and slower as time goes by.

Fortunately, I made very thorough backups. So I lost nothing except a Sunday's worth of web-browsing. And we had such a full day yesterday, what with the game and the concert, that I wouldn't have been able to do much anyway.

I'd hoped Linux would revitalize it; unfortunately, while Windows was still there, it just wasn't booting. And other issues prevented me from really tweaking the hell out of it until it worked. So a quick format (I remember when those things used to take hours), some pre-laid partitions, and a couple of installs later -- I'm dual-booting Windows and Linux.

In fact, I'm writing this write now in Linux; it's a dream. All the programs I use regularly are native (!), load quickly, and, best of all, don't require clunky frameworks to run.

I guess I'll see how I like it over the next few days; I'm still a little leery of trusting my creative data to the whims of my main drive (I have a 'backup' drive I use for, well, backups). But I'm tentatively optimistic.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home