5.25.2006

Shame, Shame...

Barbara Bauer is on Writer Beware's Top 20 Worst Agents list


So it looks like Absolute Write will be back online again soon. Get this -- it turns out that AW's host's owner, after panicking and pulling the plug on AW, is now rolling out her own similarly targeted writing site (link is nofollow). For shame.

And for stupid, too; I have no doubt this new site will manage to build an audience of sorts (PublishAmerica has no lack of hopeful soon-to-be sadder and wiser clients; Kangaroo Jack was #1 at the box office for a week), but the reputable writers will stay away.

I'm starting to feel pity (in a very general way) for the behaving-badly Barbara Bauer. Have you ever googled an old drama (say, the MZB fanfic drama, which is how I stumbled over this thing in the first place) and found pages and pages on it even though it happened a decade ago?

That was before blogs; now there will be hundreds and hundreds of blog pages about her unsavory acts stored in the internet collective memory for decades (if not longer). And our parents' generation may not think to google a company's name plus 'scam', but many of us do now. And our children will as a matter of course before doing business with anyone.

Oh, and for the record, I didn't leave AW because of anything it did. I stopped following all forums because I tend to lack discipline in the first place, and having forums to browse wasn't helping. I got to meet several of my favorite authors on AW (I should like to add that I did not fangirl squee at them -- but I wanted to), and I always felt very welcome there.

Here's that technorati tag for BarbaraBauer again (it seemed to have worked last time!).

[Update: There's another very good set of links from google here. ]

[Update #2: For the full story, take a look at the big thread on Making Light.

2 Comments:

Blogger nitequill said...

Wow, some people just seem to corner the market on slimey. How Icky! It makes it hard for writers to write even when we really have something to say!!

Thanks,
Nitequill

Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:30:00 AM  
Anonymous Kira said...

Thanks for posting a link to the list!

Thursday, May 25, 2006 9:58:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home